So I promise, I'm going to get things running soon. I feel that things maybe lulling down soon and there maybe a motivation from God for me to turn my focus on this more directly. I don't know so I'm praying on it more and more. We will see, I suppose. However, I do have another meeting at the hospital following some more appointments to meet with the Doctors and specialists to refine more of what I can do.
Please send out the word, I still want to get more connected with the community so that there's a base for what we're going to start.
I will post what's going on tomorrow after I chat with the Hospital.
Something to mull over for the time being is that NC does not have a free standing Children's Hospital. There are "wings" or "floors" like Brenners, a wing at WakeMed, the Floors at UNC and Duke, but there is no free standing Children's hospital designated to the specialized care of Children. It goes without saying that the care that a baby/child requires is much different than adult and elderly care. Most states have a "free standing" children's hospital, 100% designated to the care of children. The rooms can accommodate parents/families staying long term with their children/babies and the facilities themselves can accommodate and host children much better than a hospital that considers all patients. It's obvious that the needs of a child are much different than a 30/40/50/60/70 year old patient. There are different aspects to consider with minors/babies/children and the care of these patients cannot be adequately supplied at a general admittance hospital. This need was highlighted by the Doctors I met with last time, who dreamily described the amazing institutions that they came from before, explaining that many of the difficulties in care that they experience at hospitals here in NC (most all the surgeons and doctors at UNC cycle to all the local hospitals too) could be solved with having a free standing children's hospital. We can attest to this, in radiology, Avery's crib could be next to a 50 year old's wheelchair. Just a small example. It would also highlight how depressing the true nature of the Ronald McDonald house is. A parent should have immediate access to their children. In the case of UNC, the Ronald McDonald house is a 10 min bus ride from the hospital itself, and the total trip is 20 mins from the child's/babies bedside. And this would be a best case scenario, and common with all hospitals accommodating to all patients. The Ronald McDonald house supplies a very wonderful service, however, it doesn't help with the issue of access for parents/patients. Just as an example, Avery received a ton of care that we couldn't be present for, for proximity issues and I couldn't imagine what that would have been like if he was 5, 10 or even 12. Transfusions, IV placements, antibiotics, emergency x-rays and so on, even when he was "healthier." This is a very urgent need that our State needs. If you have the wild hair, please write the Governor, statesmen and representatives urging them to consider the urgent need of a freestanding children's hospital.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment